Saturday, October 9, 2010

When Thankfulness is not enough



































Missions Trips have a way of immediately generating a sense of gratitude and thankfulness in our hearts. Our needs & frustrations appear so insignificant against the daily realities of our brothers and sisters in places of dire need, chaos and danger. Traveling in low economically developed countries defies our self consumed, complaining, and spiritually stagnant Christian existence. If thankfulness for our lot in life is all that we feel when exposed to people in worse off conditions than ourselves, we may be missing the point.

My recent trip to Haiti challenged me in deeper ways than I expected. As I returned to my daily routine, the safety of my home, the warmth of my family, my comfortable church, and the orderly systems that usually represent my life, the feelings of thankfulness seemed insufficient. Having seen the greatest catastrophe that has taken place in our hemisphere in many years caused me to step outside myself to see that I am now responsible. Seeing the apathy, the confusion and lack of momentum in our response to the people of Haiti deeply concerns me. How does my response line up with what God considers good? Micah 6:8 puts it this way, “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God”

I am an immigrant. Canada is my country by choice not by birth. Every October our family counts the many blessings a journey out of Cuba, persecution and lack represents. I am not just thankful but grateful for the opportunities, the freedom and the prosperity that Canada represents. Those blessings for people of faith are accompanied by a responsibility to God’s purpose of being a blessing to all the families of the world.Can we do more than count our past blessings this Thanksgiving Weekend?

Can we also dream of ways we can move our gratitude to supplication for others, in service for those in need, and in support of those in the front lines of difficult places like Haiti? Being thankful is good, but not enough. This Thanksgiving consider how far your blessings could reach and how they can make an impact.

1 comment:

  1. Solid observations, Oto.

    I guess if we all TRULY understood the truth that everything we have in life has been entrusted to us by God (as outlined in the parable of the talents in Matthew 25) and we are but managers of His property, who will one day be required to give an account when He returns, we would not hold on to stuff so tightly. Instead, we would look for ways to invest it in Kingdom projects; those that would make a difference.

    Blessings on your continued service,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete